Analyzes specifications, lays out metal stock, sets up and operates machine tools, and fits and assembles parts to fabricated and repair metalworking dies, cutting tools, jigs and fixtures, gauges, and machinists’ hand tools by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Studies specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models, or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate parts
• Computes dimensions, plans layout, and determines assembly method and sequence of operations.
• Measures, marks, and scribes metal stock for machining.
• Sets up and operates machine tools such as lathes, milling machine, shaper, and grinder, to machine parts, and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
• Lifts machined parts and positions and secures parts on surface plate or work table.
• Smoothes flat and contoured surfaces and power grinders, and fits and assembles parts together and into assemblies and mechanisms.
• Verifies dimensions, alignments, and clearances.
• Heat treats tools or parts.
• Examines standard or previously used dies, tools, and jigs and fixtures, and recommends design modifications regarding construction and function of part.
• Develops specifications from general descriptions for specialty tools and draws or sketches design of product.
• Comply with requirements as outlined in the company handbook and the OHSA.
• Practice good housekeeping
. • Regular and prompt attendance.
• Other duties that may be assigned.
• None for this position.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability to successfully perform the job. Education and/or experience
• Two years or more related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Language Skills
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to speak effectively in one on one situation. Mathematical Skills
• Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference as well as apply basic mathematics principles. Reasoning Ability
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Certificate, Licenses, Registrations
• None required for this position.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and climb or balance. Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Frequently works near moving mechanical parts. Occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. Noise is moderate to loud.